A scrapbook of words and pictures from the year (2011) I try to convince my kids chicken nuggets are not a food group. With various other odd things thrown in, here and there.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Getting Started


This year, I'm going to try and feed my family better food.

No, I'm not taking cooking classes.

I'm going to try to replace a lot of the processed food we eat with more natural choices - and in turn - more healthy food.

Though I totally believe Jamie Oliver, Jillian Michaels and Dr. Oz, when they tell me I should go in my pantry and refrigerator and throw out all food that didn't come from the ground and have a mother - I am not a complete idiot.

I am only one person that cooks in 30 minute increments with about $100 to buy groceries this week.

Unless one of those guys is going to come in with a personal chef and about $1,000 to restock my kitchen with "healthy" food (given we've just thrown 90 percent of it in the trash) - not going to happen.

I'm starting out slow - one mealtime at a time.

First up is breakfast.

Out with the instant oatmeal, frozen HT brand waffles, frozen french toast sticks, pre-cooked bacon, cheap OJ, non-organic fruit and Cheerios and Wheaties. I'm keeping the organic milk, I was already buying.

I'm going to try:
  • Organic granola cereal (I've tried the cereal by Cascadia, and we all like it) and organic milk. 
  • Toast (from homemade bread I've been making this winter and will continue to make) with butter and jam. 
  • Scrambled or hard-boiled eggs (The expensive eggs from chickens that were free on the range, eating only good things, or something like that)
  • Simply Orange OJ (I think this is organic and natural, have to check)
  • Organic fruit
Yes - they eat a lot at breakfast.

Here's what I'm worried about:
  • I'm not sure what to do about Emmy's instant oatmeal. There's no way I could get up 30 minutes earlier and stir oats for 30 minutes in the morning, and I think that what you have to do with the natural oats. I hate to stop giving her oatmeal - some days its the healthiest thing she eats all day! 
  • I guess we'll just stop with the bacon. I was giving Thomas pre-cooked, packaged bacon, warmed in the microwave, but the eggs will make up for it. He doesn't like eggs as much, but that doesn't really matter, right? And anyway, is there a healthy bacon? I don't think so.
  • My kids are BIG fruit eaters. Organic fruit costs more, so I'm assuming I'll be buying less fruit. I guess I'm doing the right thing, giving them less fruit, that's better for them?
  • Also, have you seen how much organic coffee is? Wouldn't the caffeine kill any pesticides in the beans?

I've done the math, and eating healthier for breakfast is going to cost me about $10 more a week. (This is not taking into account any oatmeal for Emmy, because I don't know what I'm going to do about that. Nor did I factor in coffee, for either breakfast menu). I figured we were spending about $25 a week on breakfasts and now it will be about $34.50. I upped the fruit category by $5 when going organic - we'll see how far that goes.

Next up is lunch - what in the world am I going to give Thomas, my 11-year-old, for chips and dessert in his bag lunch? He's addicted to Twinkies! And his chicken wraps - I'm pretty sure those packages of cooked chicken strips in the deli aisle are processed somehow .....

If you have any insight or advice on this, please leave a comment below! 
Emmy (almost 2) and Thomas (11): We'd like our high fructose corn syrup back, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment