A scrapbook of words and pictures from the year (2011) I try to convince my kids chicken nuggets are not a food group. With various other odd things thrown in, here and there.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chewy ginger cookies

I started making these cookies last year, when I found this recipe on The Pioneer Woman's website. Everyone in my house loves them and they are my FAVORITES!

If you have always loved gingersnap cookies, but would love them even more if they were chewy - this is the cookie for you.

I have always made this recipe with the Crisco, but I will experiment using butter next time and report back to you. Crisco is definitely not on the "healthy" cooking staples list. It's a trans-fat, the worst kind of fat. And not natural at all - Crisco is definitely a man-made food.

The first time I made these, I did have to go out and buy the cardamom. It's a very strong spice, seemingly from the ginger and/or cinnamon family. I'm still using the same bottle of cardamom and I have even put it in some other things too, like homemade applesauce and apple pie.


  • 1 cup Sugar
  • ¾ cups Crisco (vegetable Shortening)
  • ¼ cups Molasses
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 2 cups Flour
  • 2-½ teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
  • ½ teaspoons Ground Cloves
  • ¼ teaspoons Ground Cardamom
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix sugar, shortening, molasses, and egg together until well combined. Dump in dry ingredients, stirring dry ingredients together lightly. Mix together until dough is combined.
In your hands roll dough into walnut-sized balls, then generously coat each ball with sugar. Place balls on a baking sheet and bake for 9 to 11 minutes, allowing to bake for about a minute after cookies begin to crack.
Remove cookies from baking sheet and allow to cool…though these are delicious while still warm.
I ate about half of the cookies in this picture - right out of the oven!


No comments:

Post a Comment